VALUES & EXPECTED BEHAVIOR
EFFECTIVE WORK AND TEAMWORK
• Everything we do must be delivered in a simple way, business merged, able to be monitored and universally understandable (specially by non-lawyers).
• If we're not part of the solution, we'll surely be part of the problem (and we don't want that!).
• If the answer for a simple question doesn't start with a simple "YES" or "NO", it's because the problem and its cause(s) weren't properly identified or because the person is trying to divert their opinion.
• We do not waste. We do not waste time. We do not waste resources. We do not waste others nor ours money.
ENSURE LEGALITY AND SUITABILITY OF OUR WORK
• To prevent corruption and similar illegalities, in accordance with the provisions of local legislation of Countries where the office has clients or operations (v.g. US-FCPA, UK-UKBA, BRA-LEL and other laws etc.):
- Attending to inspections and signing contracts with Public Administration: only the managing partner is authorised to have contact with public agents in such situations, which must be done in strict legality and in line with this Code.
• Prevention of money laundering: implementation and continuous improvement of accounting records protocols;
• Respect for competition laws, including in case of head-count changing or turnover;
• Do not use undue influence or lend cooperation to those who act in an illegal or unethical way;
ENSURE ABSENCE OF CONFLICTS OF INTERESTS
• When hiring professionals (arising from the Government, other Law Firms, Clients and daily management of the team);
• Among clients;
• When presenting proposals and being retained:
- Affective or familiar;
- Sneaky or improper (improper gifts or entertainment);
- Spurious (reprehensible or ilegal benefits);
• Between technical performance, behavior and academic production (including publications, demonstrations and social & professional media).
GRANT & PROTECT PROFESSIONAL SECRECY (PRIVILEGE)
• Customer information is used within the limits of the need to defend its interests, unless expressly authorised by the client for a specific case or situation; or in situations granted by the Lawyer’s Statute or the OAB Code of Ethics.
PROTECT PROFESSIONAL INDEPENDENCY
• Continuously ensure technical independence and continuous technical alignment;
• Do not accept a power of attorney from anyone who already has a hired lawyer, without the knowledge of that lawyer;
• Do not establish partnerships or act on projects with other Law firms, companies or individuals without formal alignment with the Managing Partner;
• Always remember that is the Client’s choice to continue working with the Firm and its members.
PREVENT TECHNICAL ERROR OR MISTAKES
• Care, transparency, suitability and technical deepening in the conduction of all work, from litigation to advisory.
• Only the client can comment or give interviews about their cases in which the Firm acts. If necessary or strategically useful or recommended, it's mandatory to first obtain the client's formal authorisation and alignment;
• In Congresses or seminars, act only in an instructive, educational and illustrative manner.
ENSURE A HEALTHY, RESPECTFUL AND PROSPEROUS WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The success of the Firm is linked to the success of its people. Therefore we must foster an environment of mutual respect among all members, not tolerating any type of harassment or discrimination, as well as granting equal work opportunities and alignment of projects and career expectations.